Sunday, December 2, 2018

New Year's Resolution-- Challenge Met!


This all started as a New Year's Resolution. I mean I love doing things, and I love doing things with my son, but on a educator budget sometimes fun is not always an option. So I created fun activities at home for us-- but I knew in a city this big there had to be many fun opportunities for a family to enjoy themselves on a budget. So I explored the city with my son in tow and Google in my hand and found hundreds of events that helped him pique his interest in Science and Space-- and gave me a scrapbook full of memories.

 After living in Chicago for almost 5 years, I remember waking up one day and seeing sheets of white dust cover the lawn outside of my apartment and thinking: "Oh. Yeah. It does snow here." I had spent the previous seasons enjoying the sun, the cool air of the Summer and the beautiful Fall so much so that I truly forgot that snow was a possibility.

I highly doubt that we will get enough snow here to cover the roads for longer than an hour, but who knows?? The point is that I want to get lost in this Season like I got lost in the Fall and Summer of Chicago. I want to spend time with my son enjoying ourselves to the point that I forget that I have a full time job or other obligations. The purpose of this Holy Season is to know that we have been blessed with a Gift, and hopefully share that love with others through time, appreciation-- and yes gifts.

Now that the cheesy stuff is over, here are some great ideas for you and your family to spend time together creating cheesy loving memories.

Thank you so much for your support this year. If one person spent more time with their kids, and one event got one extra visitor from my blog-- it was all worth it! Merry Christmas Y'all, See you in 2019!


Lights

-- And last but not least-- your own neigborhood! Get in your car with blankets and hot cocoa and drive around the area and see what cool neighborhood lights you can catch for the price of a few gallons of gas. 

Camera

       Santa will be at Glazed over Ceramics on December 8th and 9th for unlimited photos and a chance to decorate a ceramic plate with your hand print and his!

       Old tried and true- Chick Fil A’s monthly family event will feature old St. Nick and lots of arts and crafts at their Bellaire and Highway 6 location on December 10th and Frosty the Snowman will be at their Mason location in Katy on December 11th. 

       Holiday Characters galore will be at Second Baptist Church’s West campus for their annual Christmas Play that is put on totally for free and open to the public. Come early to their Saturday showing and for a few $10 you can get a buffet style pancake breakfast and first choice at seats for the show. 

      Santa will be at Brazos Valley Credit Union for free photos and crafts, but don’t forget your camera or phone! The event will be on December 15th from 8 am -11 am at the Katy Admin Community Room-- follow me on instagram for more information @urbankidinthecity

       Looking for some Kwanzaa fun-- head over to Texas Southern on December 8th for their family fest. This event is complete with food, crafts, games and giveaways. Plus another opportunity for you to see Old St. Nick! This event is on December 8th from 12:30 to 2:30 pm at the University Museum. 



Action


      Want to try something different? Head over to the Chelsea Market for a fun cheap game of Yuletide Bingo! You’ll want to bring your horseshoe or lucky rabbit’s foot—because there will be prizes!!

Will you have kids and family in town and looking for something to do with them during the Holiday break- Try the Peter Pan Play put on by Houston House on the Prairie. This family friendly show is super interactive and lots of fun. Get their early for free activities before the show

 Want to get in the Christmas Spirit with a little jazz music or classic Christmas carols—try these shows, and watch all of your grinch-ly bones turn to joy!





Mid Summer Fun List

Online Websites That offer FREE and paid resources for kids: ·        Activity Hero ·        Varsity Tutors Houston Public Library a...